In the last South Australian Physical Activity Survey it was found that half the adult community was not sufficiently active to gain health benefits. Across all age groups physical activity levels are declining.
Reduced or no physical activity can have serious health consequences, leading to chronic diseases and conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity.
All Australians can enjoy the benefits of being physically active. There are many simple, enjoyable and inexpensive ways to increase your level of physical activity.
Below are some of the many benefits that being active will have for you!
Regular physical activity can:
- help prevent heart disease and stroke, type 2 diabetes and prostate and breast cancer
- improve blood pressure, cholesterol levels and aerobic fitness
- improve sleep, lowered stress and anxiety levels and reduced feelings of depression
And the benefits of regular physical activity for children and younger people are enormous:
- it is a great way to have fun with friends and make new ones
- increases the opportunity for new skills and challenges
- can boost confidence and self esteem
- helps improve fitness
- can make bones and muscles stronger
- can improve balance and posture
- can help maintain a healthy weight
- improves the health of your heart
- can help you relax
- reduces stress
- can help you maintain healthy growth and development
- maintain and develop flexibility
Get started on some regular physical activity today, combine it with healthy eating and you’ll be on the path to a healthier, happier you!